PARPAGLIOLA, a rare silver coin which was minted in 1556 and which currently belongs to Roberto Bellini, is featured on the label of the Podere Brizio Brunello di Montalcino. The Siennese wolf feeding twins and the words “R.P.SEN. IN MONTE ILICINO” are shown on the front side of the coin. On the other side, there is a lily adorner cross with the script “HENRICO II AUSPICE”. Henry II was the King of France, husband of Caterina de’ Medici and ally of the Siennese Republic.
The Parpagliola was minted by Agnolo Fraschini in 1556 during the time of the Siennese Republic in Montalcino.
On April 21,1555, the Siennese and French allies, lead by Biagio of Montluc, escaped from Siena which had been conquered by the Spanish and Florentine armies, went to Montalcino and set up a new government under the protection of the King of France; “LA REPUBBLICA SENENSIS IN MONTE ILICINO”. Under the motto “Ubi Cives, ibi Patria”, the noblemen of Montalcino joined the Republic .
The Republic resisted the assaults of the Spanish and Florentine armies until 1559 when the Cateau Cambresis Treaty made peace between the two fighting empires and the area of Montalcino was handed over to Spain and the Medici Duchy.
- Year: 2015
- Grapes:100% Sangiovese
- MAtching: Matched with red meat and game dishes, can be considered as a meditation wine, to be consumed at the end of a meal, perhaps served with cheese.
how to serve
- Serving Temperature 18-20°C
- Type:Red Wine
- Grapes:100% Sangiovese
- Terrain:Pliocenic, limestone with fossil fragments
- Harvesting:Hand-picked harvesting method.
- Fermentation:Stainless steel with frequent pumping over and with a controlled temperature and a costant fermentation temperature. After the fermentation, the wine goes into new oak casks where it undergoes the malo-lactic fermentation.
- Vinification:After the harvest all the grapes pass through a grape crushing/de-stimming machine and then undergo long materation of the shinks to extract the full colour.in 300 litres French oak barrique (Allier) for 1 year, and 35 hl barrel for 3 years at least .tartaric precipitation by transpouring before passage in wooden oaks and subsequent light fining
- Aging:12 months in bottle
- Alcohol:14% Vol.
- Yearly production:5.000 bottles
- Matching:Matched with red meat and game dishes, can be considered as a meditation wine, to be consumed at the end of a meal, perhaps served with cheese.
- Serving Temperature:18-20°C